Who Is Shawn?
I remember my first camera probably better than I should: three megapixels, internal storage, and that incredible silver that packaged all electronics in the 90s. I was twelve and smitten, at least until it was stolen. I distinctly remember yearning for another camera the moment mine went missing, though. So, over the years, I kept upgrading cameras as my passion and skill increased - moving from point and shoots to bridge cameras and finally a DSLR. It was at that point that I knew I was hot stuff.
But despite having the best camera of my life, my images were only marginally better. So, I began researching, exploring, practicing: first editing, then lighting, then retouching. As I learned more, I discovered more about what I didn’t know. I became engrossed in learning about photography, a deep-seeded love by this point. I’ve since spent thousands of hours on YouTube, Lynda, and in the field trying and failing until I get it right.
I’ve always worked like this though. My whole life is built of this pursuit of something greater. As a high school dropout, the GED, college, and graduate school were all new challenges that helped me learn that it’s the journey that matters. Leading employees through a plethora of obstacles taught me to stay relaxed under pressure and swing with the punches. And being a photographer showed me that’s it’s not a one-man show. I say all of this because the skills I’ve learned in my journey have made me hard working, self-motivated, collaborative, and reflective. Did I mention that I love photography?
Community is driven by personal interaction, strengthened by commonalities shared between people, and lifted by the hope to be something more together than one can be as an individual. I like to explore the individualities of people and the inconsistencies that follow. I like to document the commonalities and the moments people share with one another. I like to take part in small moments of another’s life and make images that speak to who they are in that brief time. All of this for the sake of a portrait that helps me understand community.
MA Education for Global Sustainability (Research focussed on local water ecology in urban environments) | Webster University | GPA 3.94 | Graduated: May 2015
BA Educational Studies
Nomadic Real Estate
727 15th St NW #210, Washington, DC 20005
202.223.9019 | www.nomadicrealestate.com
Photographer | June 2018 - Present
- Photographs a variety of properties for online listings
- Documents company culture
- Shoots and edits documentary and informative videos
Photographer | July 2012 - Present
- Photographs models and clients based on concepts developed through brand research and client communication
- Styles models and clients where necessary
- Scouts locations for aestehtic requirements of shoot
- Post processes, including color correcting and color grading, images with strong knowledge of Adobe CC: Lightroom and Photoshop
- Proficient in using Nikon, Sony, and Canon camera systems
- Proficient in using Paul C Buff Lighting, Godox Lighting, and speedlights with a variety of modifiers
- Basic but growing knowledge of compositing
- Basic knowledge of CaptureOne software
Photography portfolio available here.
Bruce Creative Works
Personal Freelance Work
Photographer | August 2017 - June 2018
- More than eight hours of flight time experience with helicopter photography
- Researched clients and industies to deliver authentic brand images for use online and in print
- Photographed client locations, personnel, and events with Sony cameras and Godox lighting systems
- Post processed images with Adobe CC: Lightroom and Photoshop, including compositing
- Managed projects from design to completion
- Social media content development can be seen at @theclixgroup
Marketing Automation Specialist | August 2017 - June 2018
- Built, tested, and reported on various marketing automation campaigns for 20+ clients spanning numerous industries
- Worked as part of a team to develop copy, build webpages, and alter HTML code where appropriate for form integration on-site
- Used ActiveCampaign, Hatchbuck, Infusionsoft, automation softwares
- Used Zapier, Wufoo, and other miscellaneous software as required for proper integration
1288 Research Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63132
314.801.2112 | www.studiocolortek.com
Photographer’s Assistant | Per Need Appointment
- Collaborated with lead photographer, Barclay Hughes, on set design and build, as well as lighting tests and manipulation.
- Worked with Paul C Buff Einstien lighting and Canon 5d MKIV cameras through tether with CaptureOne software
Department Associate | September 2015 - August 2017
- Designed and managed the printing and distribution process of brochures, flyers, newsletters and miscellaneous materials used in the School of Education and Department of Teacher Education
- Led the design of the School of Education Equity in Education Conference brochure design
- Photographed events as needed
- Participated as a member of the Marketing Committee and the Equity in Education Conference Committee
- Managed newsletter and email blast message through ConstantContact software on behalf of the School of Education
- Managed, as a team, the database of over 300 student records
- Communicated with current students, alumni, staff, faculty, and patrons about degree offerings, events, and campus rules and organization
- Built and managed webpages through SharePoint
Graphic design portfolio available here.
Parkway Rockwood Community Education
1401 Froesel Drive, Ellisville, MO 63011
636.891.6675 | www.prcommunityed.org
Facilitator | July 2014 - September 2015
- Led five staff members in daily operations
- Oversaw 60+ students per day
- Developed the before after school activities and curriculum for 60+ students
- Managed monthly budgets based on enrollment
- Led the Adventure Club program in the development of a curriculum management system utilizing Google Drive, Docs, and Sheets
- Participated as part of the Curriculum Committee and Rockwood School District STEM Committee
Shutterfest - 2016, 2017